Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Rosie child

There is about two and a half years of Rose's life that she doesn't remember. This time period began when she was born and ended around the time that her father and I got married. What she doesn't recall is the time when it was just the two of us. The memories from this time are some of my favorite and most treasured. It was a difficult time in my life, but one of the most joyous as well. Rosie came into my life and magically changed it forever for the better.

Here is something that I wrote when she was two.

My daughter is in love with Peter Pan (the movie not the character). She was watching this movie tonight in her room just before she emerged into the living room. As I was sitting on the couch, she walked over to me and started pulling on my arm (wanting me to get up) and saying something that took me a minute to understand (she is 2 and sometimes I have difficulty translating her version of English). Finally I realized she was saying “I gonna fly.” She was tugging on my arm because she thought that maybe if I got up I could help her accomplish this task. At first I resisted her urgent demand for help in this matter. I almost uttered the words “you can’t fly” as I sat there. But she was very serious about her desire. She was pointing up toward the ceiling with such determination and she had this ardent glimmer in her eyes as she kept saying “I gonna fly up in the sky.” It was then that I realized that to be quite honest I wanted to fly too. So naturally the only thing I could think to tell her was “I want to fly too.” So I got up from the couch and we flew around the room as best we could.

No comments: