Sunday, June 22, 2008

Home Sweet Home

If you had a conversation with my 17 or 18 year old self, then you would know that I had no intention of sticking around Murray, KY. Money talked, though, in the form of scholarships and I stayed. Although many close friends moved away before, during, and after college, I remained in what I considered to be a boring little town where it was always the same ol' same ol' thing.

It wasn't until I had children that I began to appreciate Murray. I have never felt as safe as I do in Murray in any other city. It takes approximately 5 minutes to get anywhere I need to go. The cost of living is better than reasonable. We are in western Kentucky where a backward way of thinking is still present, but we do have a university to counter it. I would say the quality of life is rather good here. All in all, this is a great place to raise children.

Now, I know that there are comparable cities out there. I haven't been to them, but I'm certain they must exist. I also know that there are cities out there that would rank higher on my list than Murray. For example, Murray would lose its spot on the top of the list to any city that has similar characteristics, but better location (namely, on the coast or near the mountains).

I am content to live here for this moment, however long, in my life. And I am so thrilled that I have close friends moving back to Murray now. It will be just like old times, only better. I know they won't regret coming home.

No comments: