Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Motivation

Why is it so hard to convince myself to do something that I enjoy doing? I am out of the habit of regularly exercising and I am finding it quite difficult to start again. I do have an active lifestyle. I stay at home with my two kids which entails much activity, but simply being active is not enough. I am in my late twenties and my metabolism is slowing down and I cannot maintain my weight without regular exercise. Also, I know that in order to keep my heart healthy, I need to do more than just chase my kids around every day.

Exercise is something my husband and I want to be a priority in our family. We want fitness to be one of our family values. We have had so many commitments in the last few years that have taken up too much of our time and energy. It is time to match our commitments up with our priorities. The pastor at the church I go to talked about this concept some time ago and it has been on my mind ever since. Why do we commit to doing things that are not priorities in our lives? How much happier would we be if we did things every day that are really important to us?

I need to commit to exercising. It is a priority, therefore I should do it. This is easy to say, but not so easy to do. I know that once I'm in the habit of exercising that it will be much easier, but, at the moment, I am not. I need some motivation to get started. I have put on a few pounds which is motivating. I am going to the beach in a few weeks. That is motivating. I have a class reunion in a couple of months which is definitely motivating. Now, why am I not out jogging around the neighborhood??? I don't know. Maybe all those aforementioned reasons are not enough for me. What does it take to get me out the door? I'm struggling to come up with the answer to that question.

I think one good answer to that queston is that I need to be more self-motivated. I don't need to do things because I feel outside pressure to do them (e.g. I don't need to lose weight to impress others). I need to accomplish things for myself. But it is hard for me to focus on doing things for myself. I think this is true for most moms. I want to be a happier, healthier mom, though, so I think it is time to start exercising more regularly. Tomorrow morning would be a great time to start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny, I know what you mean. When I was in college, I took aerobics and lifted weights and now..well, I have to tell myself to go out and work in the yard, so getting myself to run around the block is not happening...LOL...I have decided that I am going to join a gym at the end of the year. I am giving myself til the end of the year to live with the weight and my lack of exercise and starting in 2009 (my 30th year) I will loose the weight and get active again, or I will throw money away every month. Since I am very cheap, I think spending money on fitness will be about the only thing that will get myself out the door and into the gym. Good luck!
Kristy